Cartographer's Toolkit is like a big cheat-sheet for cartography. Its three chapters — Colors, Typography, and Composition Patterns — build from individual map components to cohesive cartographic constructions. Each chapter begins with a brief introduction explaining relevant theory, key definitions, and usage suggestions. The pages that follow each introduction provide an abundance of visual demonstrations that are the basis for the tools in the toolkit.
The book contains:
- Colors: 30 color palettes of 10 colors each in 3 categories: coordinated palettes, color ramps, and differentiated;
- Typography: 50 typefaces showcased in 3 categories: standard, free, and for-fee; and
- Composition Patterns: 28 patterns illustrated with 36 maps by many of today's leading cartographers.
Here you will find design tools for the advanced cartographer — and those who wish to become advanced cartographers — for producing the high-level static and interactive maps required in our current innovative environment.
The information presented in this book, along with the more fundamental cartography theory in the author's first book, GIS Cartography: A Guide to Effective Map Design, equips cartographers with the tools they need to perform at the top of the map-making field, producing maps that are informative, inspired, and original.
"Cartographer's Toolkit is an excellent new book. It focuses on real-world solutions rather than cartographic theory, and is full of ideas that will inspire new approaches and creative solutions for cartographers. I love the book's clean, accessible, no-nonsense approach."
- Allen Carroll, Former Chief Cartographer at National Geographic, Esri
"For any geo-technology professional, would-be cartographer, and mapping aficionado, Cartographer's Toolkit is a must-have. You'll get hooked on the amazing examples, sample maps, and images that are used throughout."
- Glenn Letham, Editor, GISuser.com
"A book full of little cartographic nuggets."
- Clint Brown, Director of Software Products, Esri